Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Sweet Potato-Oatmeal-Chocolate chip bars

I am testing a bunch of new recipes for work since I have nothing real to do (yea, it's so nice!) I came across this delicious one in the USDA's new preschool nutrition curriculum, Grow it, Try it, Like it! I was expecting a bar cookie, but it tastes more cakey or quick bread-ish.

2 large, fresh sweet potatoes
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup low-fat or fat-free plain yogurt (I used low-fat vanilla)
1 large egg, beaten
3/4 cup flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/4 cup quick- cook oatmeal
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 cup mini chocolate chips

Wash potatoes, stab with a fork and cook in microwave for 10-15 minutes until soft. Cool a little and then remove flesh from skins and mash with sugar until smooth. Add oil, yogurt, and egg, mix thoroughly. Mix flours, oatmeal, baking soda, and spices in a medium bowl. Add dry ingredients to sweet potato mixture, stir just enough to combine. Add chocolate chips and stir. Put in a greased 9x13 pan and bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until lightly brown. Remove from oven and let cool in pan for 8-10 minutes. Cut into bars and remove from pan.

Make sure sweet potatoes are cool before adding the chocolate chips- I accidentally melted mine so the whole pan looked chocolaty, which might not be a bad thing if you are trying to trick your husband or kids!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yum, it sounds good but looks like something Bronco would leave in the grass