Monday, July 2, 2012

Wild Rice Pilaf

I found some great wild rice in the bulk section at one of the "hippie"-ish grocery stores here.  I am guessing you could probably find some in the bulk section at your store as well.  I tried a rice pilaf recipe similar to cashew rice.   It was totally fabulous, and really easy!  No nuts are needed since the black grains of rice stay slightly crunchy.


Wild Rice Pilaf
1 cup uncooked wild rice
1 can chicken broth
1/4 cup- 1/3 cup chopped onion or shallots
1/4 cup diced celery
1/4 cup diced carrots
salt
2 T butter

Melt butter in large saucepan that has been sprayed with Pam.  Saute onion for a few minutes, and then add celery and carrots.  Cook for a few minutes, and then stir in rice.  Add broth and bring to a boil.   Cover, turn down heat and simmer for about 30-45 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed.  Stir in salt according to taste.

No comments: