Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Yummy Homemade Granola

My friend brought over this granola when I had Bridgette.  It was so delicious and I had been craving it ever since.  I got the recipe and made it last week and have had vanilla yogurt, frozen raspberries with tons of granola ever since!  It's a great recipe because there's not a lot of oil or sugar like most granola recipes I've seen.  I added about 1/2 cup chopped craisens to mine.

Crunchy Honey Almond Granola

4 C. old-fashioned oats
1 C wheat germ
1/4 C. dark brown sugar
scant 1/2 t. salt
2/3 C chopped almonds
1/3 C coconut

1/2 C. honey
1/3 C veg. or canola oil (I might use as little as 1/4 C; for ease of measuring I just use the half cup that I use for the honey and fill it about half)
2 T. water
1 - 1 1/2 t.  almond or vanilla extract

Adjust oven rack to middle position, heat oven to 275.   Spray a jelly roll pan with cooking spray and set aside.

Mix oats, wheat germ, brown sugar, salt, almonds and coconut in a bowl.  Bring honey, oil, water and extract to a simmer in a sauce pan.  Pour over dry mixture and stir to combine.  Pour mixture onto pan.  Squeeze into clumps if desired.  Bake for 30 minutes.  Stir (and add dried fruit like cranberries or cherries if desired).  Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes longer.  Let cool.

No comments: