I've made this a few times and really like it. It's hearty but fresh and healthy and I like making it with veggies from the farmer's market. It makes a big batch so I usually freeze half of it for another dinner. If you haven't tried quinoa (say keen-wa) yet you need to! It's a great whole grain that is very healthy and yummy. I've been trying to cook more with it.
Chicken Quinoa Stew
2 Tb olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
5 stalks celery, chopped
4 large carrots, peeled and chopped
2 cups sweet pepper, chopped
1 large zucchini, quartered and sliced
64 oz chicken broth
15 oz can diced tomatoes
5 medium Yukon Gold potatoes (have also used little fingerling potatoes), chopped
3 cups cooked quinoa
4 medium chicken breasts, cooked, shredded, and seasoned with salt and pepper
2 Tb dijon mustard
1 Tb hot sauce
Salt, pepper, and garlic salt to taste
1 1/2 cups fresh parsley, chopped
Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Saute onion, celery, carrots, peppers, and zucchini until softened (about 5 minutes). Stir in chicken broth, tomatoes, and potatoes. Increase heat to high just until broth starts to boil. Reduce to medium heat and cook potatoes for 10 minutes or until fork tender. Reduce heat to low and stir in quinoa, chicken, mustard, and hot sauce. Season to taste with sale, pepper, and garlic salt. Stir in fresh parsley and simmer until ready to serve.
Let me know if you try it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I LOVE quinoa! I'll have to try it!
Post a Comment