
I got this recipe from this blog. It was a fun new ground beef recipe (I am always looking for non-scary ones) and used butternut squash which we've been experimenting a bit with this fall. (Thank you farmer's market!)
Tamale Pie
1 lb ground beef
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 large onion, minced
1 bell pepper, any color, chopped (I used a red)
1 jalapeno pepper, minced (optional) (Left this out)
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
2 cups cubed butternut squash or other hard winter squash
1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
1 (14 ounce) can chili beans, or 1 cup fully cooked beans (I used white beans)
1/2 cup beef broth or water
Cornbread Topping:
1 and 1/4 cups cornmeal
3/4 cup flour
1 scant tablespoon baking powder
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup milk
1 and 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
In a large 10 or 12 inch ovenproof skillet, cook ground beef. After five minutes, add garlic, onion, bell pepper, and jalapeno. Cook until beef is browned and vegetables are softened. Add chili powder and cumin and cook for thirty seconds. Add squash, tomatoes, beans, and broth. Reduce heat and simmer until squash is tender, about ten minutes. (Mine took more like 15-20 min)
In a medium bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Add eggs, oil, and milk and stir gently, just until combined. Pour over meat mixture in skillet and bake at 425 degrees until cornbread is browned and set, about 15 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese and return to the oven just to melt.
I ended up halving this recipe and putting it into a 9x9 pan to cook instead of a skillet and it worked great. Super yummy- next time I think I am going to add in a small can of tomato sauce so it is more saucy.


No comments:
Post a Comment