Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Root Beer Roast

While I'm up late feeding a cute baby, I might as well be productive.  Ever have 1.5 liters of extra root beer in your fridge after your husband's random craving for a root beer float?  Hmm, didn't think so, but in case you ever do need to use some root beer up, this is a good way.  I liked the flavor of the meat more than a plain roast.  It's only slightly sweet.  I bet you could also use a Cola soda and it would work.

Root Beer Roast
1.5-2 lb roast-  I used a rump roast, but chuck would work great too
32 oz Root Beer
1 white onion, chopped into large wedges
Carrots
1-2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
Salt
Pepper
Oil

Season roast generously with salt and pepper.  Brown in hot oil on all sides.  While cooking, rub the fresh garlic on the sides.  Transfer to a greased crock pot.  Add onions and carrots and then pour root beer on top.  Cook on low for 8-10 hours.  Shred.

I did make some gravy for Tyler with the drippings, and it was pretty normal tasting.  A fun way to mix up Sunday dinner!

No comments: