This is from my favorite Taste of Home magazine issue. It is perfect for those days you need warm, home cooked goodness! The flavor of the sauce is just divine! This recipe can be quite fast if you have your chicken already cooked and have a pie crust on hand. (I don't usually, but I think I'm going to make a few extra crusts next time and freeze to use for this later.)
Chicken Pot Pie
4 medium carrots, sliced
2-4 medium red potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1-2 ribs celery, chopped
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
2 cups chicken broth
1 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 cups cooked, cubed chicken
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
4 green onions, sliced
Pastry for 9-in pie crust
Put carrots, potatoes and celery in large pot; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender.
Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in the flour until smooth. Gradually add broth, thyme, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened.
Drain veggies; add white sauce, chicken, peas and onions. Transfer to a greased 2 quart round baking dish. Place pie crust over filling. Seal and flute edges; cut slits in the top. If you want, sprinkle crust with sugar (just like Mom!) Bake at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly.
Yield: 4 servings (Although I think it's more like 6)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
This was great. I needed a good recipe for chicken pot pie.
Post a Comment